I’m excited to announce this opportunity to work with me at Primal Fusion! Although we’re still in stealth mode, the time nears when we’ll throw off the covers to unveil our first product. In this role, you’ll make important contributions to that product — and to those which follow.
We’ve assembled a team of talented people who are a lot of fun to work with. Our new office is pretty nice too and in a great location, at the corner of King and University in Waterloo. Almost everything you’d need is next door or across the road: banks, restaurants, a pharmacy, Starbuck’s. If you’re so inclined, we’re even upstairs from a head shop…
Read on for a description of the job, then contact me if you’d like to learn more.
User Experience Designer
Itching for an opportunity to work in an environment where design really matters? Here’s your chance. From the beginning, Primal Fusion has understood the critical role that product design will play in the success of our business. We’re now looking for another designer to help us conceptualize and sweat the details of our web applications’ user experience.
As a User Experience Designer at Primal Fusion, you will:
- Imagine new opportunities to hit the “sweet spot,” that place where our products delight customers while fulfilling our business goals.
- Develop a deep understanding of our customers’ motivations and behaviors through user research methods such as field studies.
- Lay the groundwork for new products by modeling workflows, crafting personas, writing scenarios, and sketching storyboards.
- Design the form and behavior of our products by creating prototypes of increasing fidelity and detail, from concept sketches to wireframes to interactive simulations.
- Improve your craft by subjecting your work to rigorous assessment, including usability studies, A/B testing, and web log analysis.
- Help to further elevate the practice of design at Primal Fusion.
Before applying, please make sure you meet these requirements:
- A passion for design. “Design thinking” isn’t something you turn on and off — it’s how you think all the time.
- An entrepreneurial and energetic spirit. This is a startup environment in which things move quickly; you’ll have the opportunity to wear many hats.
- Demonstrated experience in designing elegant and highly usable websites and web applications.
- A proven understanding of why, when, and how to create artifacts such as workflow and mental model diagrams, personas, scenarios, sitemaps, and wireframes.
- Graphic and information design skills. You have a demonstrated ability to make visual design choices that guide users in their interactions with a product.
- Experience in communicating design requirements and shepherding products through the development process.
- Expertise with Adobe applications such as Fireworks or Illustrator.
Bonus points for any of the following:
- Experience in designing for large-scale consumer web applications.
- Experience in conducting usability studies and A/B testing.
- Strong written communication skills, especially for web copy.
- Post-secondary education in Design.
This is a full-time opportunity, though we are also interested in independent contractors who feel they fit the bill.